LocaKitty (locakitty) wrote,

  • Mood:

The Great Trip

So, ok, I promised a full on account, so here we go:

Tuesday night found me getting sick. I think it was the leftover chinese food that I ate. I was really run down the rest of the night and felt quite feverish as I went to bed. I was determined, however, to get on the road Wednesday morning. I woke up "late" (around 7:00 a.m., which was later than the 5:30 I was planning on before) and decided to just lay down for a bit longer, because I still wasn't feeling up to par. I finally got on the road at 9 a.m. Got myself a cup of gas station coffee, filled up my tank and was the on move. I drove up I-75 until I reached I-10, then it was time to go west. So, away I went, right into a nice big stormfront. *sigh* I drove through drizzle, hard rain and more drizzle before finally giving up around 4:30/5:00 in Pensacola, FL. I checked into a Motel 6, got Vera settled and was about to settle into some bad TNT drama, but, lo and behold, the satellite tv wasn't working, so I was stuck with local channels. I wound up watching Jeopardy! and passing out around 5:45 p.m (central time), awakening around 4 in the morning. I got up, and started my journey again around 6 a.m. (central), once again starting with gas station coffee and filling up the gas tank. I made it through Alabama with no incident, then I got to Mississippi. I was about 5 miles from the border to Louisiana when I ran into a parking lot on I-10. 30-45 minutes later, I got to move again towards Louisiana. Louisiana went by without incident, I even got to see some floats being moved along I-10 towards Mobile was my guess as I wasn't to New Orleans yet. They were so colorful and neat looking. I tried to snap a picture, but I was going too fast :)

Then...TEXAS. I can't STAND driving through Texas. I sucked it up and told myself I could make it to San Antonio. No dice. I pooped out around Sealy, TX after having being stuck in 3 traffic jams in Houston, because, of course, I pulled into town around the start of rush hour. Le freaking sigh. So, I got through it and got a nice room at the Holiday Inn Express. I got it for the high speed internet it promised, of course, they neglected to tell me of the username/password information that was necessary, but I guess it all worked out for the better, since I just went to bed instead of staying up late looking at LJ :)

Got up Friday morning determined to make it to Tucson. I got on the road about 8 a.m., grabbing some more gas station coffee (I don't know how I survived...) and began the 700 miles to get out of that freaking state. I did see something really cool though. There was some sort of horse ride going on with covered wagons and what not. I tried to snap a picture of that as well. I mean, I'm sure I could have pulled over, but that would have taken time, and I didn't want to spend any more time than I had to in that state. So, I kept going and going and going and going. Made it into San Antonio, no traffic jam! Yay. Keep going, keep going, keeeeeeeeeeep gooooooooooing. Stopped at a place that I remembered from the last time I made the trip across country. The Circle Bar and RV Park and Fina station that charge very high gas prices...oh yes, and has crap gas station coffee :)

I got into El Paso, FINALLY! Of course, I got there right in time for rush hour. I white knuckled it through the city, and then, as I was almost out, I decided to pull over to get some gas, empty my person and get some more coffee. I decided to just go ahead and push through to Tucson not wanting to stop in El Paso. Besides that, Vera was fast asleep, so, I figured, hey, why not? Well, I pulled off to get gas, and saw that there was a Starbucks drive thru. Yes, these words left my mouth: "Oh Thank God, A Starbucks."

I am embarassed that I said that. I can't believe that those words actually left my mouth, LET ALONE that I thought those words. To make matters worse, as I waited in the drive thru line, I found myself getting annoyed with the person in front of me for not knowing what the hell they wanted and asking all sorts of questions about the pastries that are offered there and THEN deciding to not even get something to eat. They were interfering with my caffeine, dammit.

So, I passed through the starbucks, got my latte, and then, started through to New Mexico, getting through New Mexico through a rain storm the ENTIRE state...grrrr...then, pulling into AZ. My stomach was all kinds of rumbly tumbly, and I realized it was because I was starving. I found a "Kactus Kafe" at the gas station/truck stop and got a bean burrito from the self serve cafeteria line thingie. Grabbed it and got back on the road after filling up the car with gas. I made it at 10 p.m. into April and Chris's driveway, got Vera into some litter as she started protesting around midway through New Mexico. I gave her some more catnip and she calmed down for a little bit, but soon she was just wanting out of the bag, and honestly, I don't blame her, 13 hours in a bag, I would be a little pissy, too. :)

So, that's the trip. I guess it was a little cooler in my head or something, and I have since forgotten to write down some of the things that I saw that were groovy or cool, but hey, that's for other times or something. So, now, I bid you adieu, as I begin my job search, calling temp agencies to make appointments for testing and interviews. I'm hoping to have a job by the end of the month. OK, time to go lay down, I think I'm still adjusting to the time change, so I get really sleepy around 8 p.m. :D This is great for getting up early and stuff though, so that's cool. Night kids.

Perhaps this weekend will be the great "Hey, ok, Yay! We're all here!" party or something. :D

  • (no subject)

    SO MANY THINGS. Let's start with some of the things going through my mind while I listened to toasts at a recent wedding. Everyone kept saying…

  • In other news

    I managed to score a part time job with an insurance company. I can see the end of coffee. Nope. They moved the position to Phoenix. sigh. back…

  • breakdown, on using livejournal as free therapy

    Saturday night I had another crying breakdown. Like, full body heaving, tears flowing, snot, the whole shebang. I'm a really ugly cryer. It's true.…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for friends only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded